Top News Story –
U.S. Wins Record Fourth Womens World Cup Soccer Title
Dominating yet another opponent in yet another final, the United States women’s soccer team claimed its fourth Women’s World Cup title on Sunday, beating the Netherlands, 2-0, in Lyon, France, to repeat as world champions.
Megan Rapinoe and Rose Lavelle scored second-half goals for the United States, which needed more than an hour to solve a tenacious Netherlands defense but eventually, rush after rush, found a way through. Rapinoe broke the dam with a penalty kick in the 61st minute, and Lavelle sealed the victory with a driving run up the center in the 69th.
“It’s surreal,” said Rapinoe, who was named the tournament’s outstanding player. “I don’t know how to feel. It’s ridiculous.”
It was the second straight World Cup title for a dozen of the American players, who claimed their first championship in Canada four years ago. It also cemented their status as the gold standard in women’s soccer, even as Europe — led by teams like the Netherlands — mounts a sustained assault on their crown.
“They put their heart and soul into this journey, and I can’t thank them enough,” United States Coach Jill Ellis, hoarse and on the verge of tears herself, said minutes after the game. Ellis became the first coach to win consecutive Women’s World Cup titles; her team has not lost a game in the event since 2011 (13-0-1), and will be favored to reclaim its Olympic championship next summer in Tokyo.
List of the Day –
FIFA Wome’s World Cup Tournament Hosts and Results
Twitter trends [from Trendinalia] – today from USA
Other News Stories –
Armed conflicts and attacks
- War in Afghanistan, 2019 Ghazni bombing
Arts and culture
- The Jodrell Bank Observatory in Cheshire, United Kingdom, the ancient ruins of Babylon in Babil Governorate, Iraq, among other sites are designated UNESCO World Heritage Sites. (BBC) (The Independent)
- Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, Nuclear program of Iran
Politics and elections
- 2019 Greek legislative election
- Citizens of Greece go to the polls to vote for the next members of the Hellenic Parliament. (BBC News)
- Leader of the Opposition Kyriakos Mitsotakis, from New Democracy, wins an absolute majority and is expected to be sworn in Prime Minister as incumbent Alexis Tsipras falls to second place. Far-right Golden Dawn loses all the seats they had in the Parliament. (The New York Times)
- Operation Car Wash, Foreign relations of Venezuela, Foreign relations of Brazil
- New leaked messages between Brazilian judge Sérgio Moro and prosecutors of Operation Car Wash show that Moro suggested they leak confidential information concerning Odebrecht‘s activities in Venezuela to members of the Venezuelan opposition. Some prosecutors even entertained the possibility of provoking a civil war in Venezuela over the leaks. (The Intercept Brasil)
- 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup
- 2019 Copa América
- 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup
- FIBA Women’s EuroBasket 2019
News from Wikipedia – please support this valuable resource