Top News Story –
California earthquake: Power ‘restored to most’ after 7.1-magnitude quake
A 7.1 magnitude earthquake has rattled parts of Southern California, the biggest tremor to strike in 20 years.
It struck at the shallow depth of 0.9km (0.6 miles) and its epicentre was near the city of Ridgecrest, about 240km north-east of Los Angeles.
A 6.4-magnitude quake hit the same area on Thursday at a depth of nearly 11km.
Emergency officials say the damage is not as bad as they initially feared, with power restored to most who had lost it and food stores trading again.
All of the roads that were damaged by the quake have also now been reopened, they say, but add that crews are still assessing the aftermath.
It’s thought about 3,000 people in Ridgecrest and the surrounding area were left without power.
California Governor Gavin Newsom offered his “heartfelt support” to all those affected, and requested a Presidential Emergency Declaration and federal aid to help.
He later added that there were a number of “minor to moderate level” injuries, and said there were “no reports of any fatalities, so I think we’re very lucky there”.
Twitter trends [from Trendinalia] – today from USA
Other News Stories –
Armed conflicts and attacks
- Islamist insurgency in Mozambique
- ISIL claims responsibility for a Wednesday attack in Nangade District in Mozambique, which killed seven people. (Business Standards)
- Five soldiers of the Israel Defense Forces are injured in a vehicle-ramming attack in Hizma, Palestine. The suspect is still at large. (The Jerusalem Post)
- Syrian Civil War
- The SNHR says at least 544 civilians (including 130 children) have been killed, and another 2,117 people injured since a Russian-led Syrian government assault on the last rebel bastion in northwestern Syria began two months prior. (Al Jazeera) (Reuters)
Disasters and accidents
- Plantation explosion
- 23 people are injured in a gas explosion at a shopping mall in Plantation, Florida. (WPLG), (CNN)
- Monotaro Imamura explosion
- At least 2 company employees are confirmed killed and two more are critically injured in the explosion at the industrial waste processing plant owned by Monotaro due improper handling of spray cans.(nikkei.com)
Law and crime
- American billionaire Jeffrey Epstein is arrested and faces new charges related to alleged sex crimes involving minors. (ABC News)
News from Wikipedia – please support this valuable resource