Top News Story –
New Melania Trump statue in Slovenia gets mixed reviews
A tongue-in-cheek statue of US First Lady Melania Trump has appeared on the outskirts of her Slovenian hometown.
US artist Brad Downey hired a local chainsaw artisan, Ales Zupevc, to carve the likeness out of a tree trunk outside the town of Sevnica.
The result was a wooden rendering of Mrs Trump dressed in a blue coat with a club-like hand gesturing to the sky.
Some residents described it as “a disgrace”, a “Smurfette”, saying “it doesn’t look anything like Melania”.
Downey told Reuters news agency he wanted to “have a dialogue” with the US political situation.
The artist has an exhibition in Slovenia’s capital Ljubljana until late August. The gallery reportedly suggested the statue “might only be a slapstick prank” in a leaflet.
Sevnica has become a tourist magnet ever since Donald Trump was elected US president in 2016, and Ms Trump – a famous former resident – became the first lady.
Other News Stories –
Armed conflicts and attacks
- 2019 Reyhanlı car bombing
- War in Afghanistan
Arts and culture
- Hijab by country
Disasters and accidents
- 2019 Ridgecrest earthquakes
- A magnitude 7.1 earthquake hits Southern California just a day after a magnitude 6.4 earthquake in the same area. (USGS)
- Seven Americans, including coal billionaire Chris Cline, are found dead in a helicopter crash in the Bahamas. (Los Angeles Times)
Politics and elections
- Operation Car Wash
- New text messages between Brazilian judge Sérgio Moro and Operation Car Wash’s prosecutors are leaked by The Intercept Brasil and Veja. In the messages, Judge Moro illegally advises the prosecutors in including pieces of evidence against defendants of cases presided by him and suggests dates for Federal Police operations. The messages also suggest that Moro withheld evidence to prevent cases being transferred out of his jurisdiction to the Supreme Federal Court. (Veja)
- Sudanese protests
News from Wikipedia – please support this valuable resource