Top News Story –
Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac face carjacking gang
Two Premier League footballers have been involved in a carjacking attempt by an armed gang in a London street.
Arsenal players Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac were targeted, the club confirmed, but both escaped uninjured.
Footage on social media appears to show Kolasinac chasing the robbers in Platts Lane, near Golders Green, at about 17:00 BST.
Arsenal said in a statement: “We have been in contact with both players and they are fine.”
Twitter trends [from Trendinalia] – today from UK
Other News Stories –
Armed conflicts and attacks
- Japan–North Korea relations
- North Korea tests two new missiles that land in the Sea of Japan, though not within Japanese territory. Japanese Defense Minister Takeshi Iwaya condemns the testing as “extremely regrettable”. (Al Jazeera) (DW)
Health and environment
- July 2019 European heat wave
- Paris reaches a new all-time high temperature of 42.6 °C (108.7 °F). (Accuweather) (The Guardian)
- The Netherlands also reaches an all-time highest recorded temperature, 40.7 °C (105.3 °F), recorded in Gilze en Rijen.
- The United Kingdom records its second-highest temperature reading of 38.1 °C (100.6 °F) in Cambridge.
Law and crime
- Capital punishment in the United States
- U.S. Attorney General William Barr resumes the federal usage of the death penalty. Five inmates are expected to be executed between December 2019 and January 2020. If carried out, these would be the first federal executions in the United States in sixteen years. (CNBC) (The New York Times)
- At least four people are killed and two wounded in a shooting spree that spread across multiple Los Angeles neighborhoods. Police tackled and arrested the suspect, Gerry Zaragoza, after a 12-hour manhunt. (CNN) (Reuters via AOL.com)
Politics and elections
- The 92-year-old and first freely elected President of Tunisia, Beji Caid Essebsi, dies. Tunisian parliament President Mohamed Ennaceur takes the role of interim president. (Associated Press), (BBC News)
- 2019 Algerian protests
- Algerian interim president Abdelkader Bensalah appoints a six-member panel to set a presidential election date. The previous date of July 4 was cancelled due to lack of candidates amid mass protests. (Reuters)
- Outfielder Stevie Wilkerson of the Baltimore Orioles becomes the first position player in Major League Baseball history to record a save, doing so in a 10–8 victory over the Los Angeles Angels. (CBS)
News from Wikipedia – please support this valuable resource