Top News Story –
US Supreme Court gives go-ahead for Trump wall funding
The US Supreme Court has said that President Donald Trump can use $2.5bn (£2bn) of Pentagon funds for a section of wall on the southern border.
The court ruled by five votes to four to block a ruling by a federal judge in California that barred the president from spending the money on the wall.
The wall, dividing the US and Mexico, was Mr Trump’s major campaign promise during the 2016 election.
It is fiercely opposed by Democrats.
The decision by the Supreme Court means that the money will be used for wall projects in California, Arizona and New Mexico.
The court in California had argued that Congress had not specifically authorised the funds to be used for constructing the wall.
In a tweet, Mr Trump described the ruling as a “big victory”.
Twitter trends [from Trendinalia] – today from USA
Other News Stories –
Business and economy
- The U.S. Department of Justice approves a $26 billion merger between T-Mobile and Sprint. If finalized, they will become the third-largest mobile network operator in the nation. (Reuters)
Disasters and accidents
- Heavy rains in Al Haouz Province, Morocco, trigger a landslide, resulting in the deaths of 15 people. (The New York Times) (Morocco World News)
- Two people die and more than 17 are injured when an internal balcony collapses at a nightclub in the South Korean city of Gwangju. (BBC)
- At least nine people are killed and 60 others injured when two earthquakes strike the province of Batanes in the Philippines. (InquirerNet)
Health and environment
- Saudi Arabia suspends visas for Hajj pilgrims arriving from the Democratic Republic of the Congo, amid safety concerns regarding the ongoing Ebola epidemic in Kivu. (Al Jazeera)
Law and crime
- A man from the Bronx, New York City, is arrested for attempting to join the Taliban. (ABC News)
- Sixteen American marines are arrested at Camp Pendleton, California, on suspicion of aiding human smuggling and drug charges. (CBS News)
News from Wikipedia – please support this valuable resource