Top News Story –
Kanye West and Kim Kardashian marry in Italian wedding
Kanye West and Kim Kardashian have married at a fortress in the Italian city of Florence.
The E! network, which runs the Keeping Up With the Kardashians TV series, confirmed the news.
The rapper and reality TV star were joined by several hundred guests at the 16th-century Fort Belvedere.
It is the first marriage for West, and the third for Kardashian.
The rapper proposed to his wife in October on her birthday.
12 Years a Slave director Steve McQueen and Will Smith’s son Jaden were among the celebrities spotted in Florence.
The celebrations included horses adorned with bright colours, riders wearing huge feathers in their hats, musketeers in wigs and drum rolls.
It’s thought the wedding could earn the couple up to $21 million (£12.5m) thanks to sponsors and through the sale of exclusive photos of the ceremony.
Twitter trends [from Trendinalia] – today from USA
Other News Stories –
Armed conflicts and attacks
- Al-Qaeda insurgency in Yemen:
- Somali Civil War (2009–present):
- Islamist insurgency in Nigeria:
Arts and culture
- Turkish film Winter Sleep directed by Nuri Bilge Ceylan wins the Palme d’Or at the 2014 Cannes Film Festival. (France 24)
Disasters and accidents
- A magnitude 6.4 earthquake occurs in the Aegean Sea between Greece and Turkey with reports of serious damage on the Turkish island of Gökçeada and the cities of Edirne and Çanakkale. (World Bulletin)
- Pope Francis arrives in Amman, Jordan, for the first day of a three day trip to the Middle East. (AP)
Law and crime
- Mahafarid Amir Khosravi is executed for masterminding the largest fraud case in Iran since the 1979 Revolution. (AP via USA Today)
- At least 3 people are killed in a shooting at the Jewish Museum of Belgium in Brussels, Belgium. (BBC)
- 2014 Isla Vista killings: The suspected gunman in the May 23 spree killing in Santa Barbara, California, is named as Elliot Rodger. (BBC)
- 2014 Thai coup d’état:
- The Thai military arrests 35 more individuals, including prominent academics. (BBC)
Politics and elections
- European Parliament election:
- Jacob Zuma is sworn in for a second term as President of South Africa following his recent election victory. (BBC)
- Malawian general election:
- 2014 Thai coup d’état:
- In football, Real Madrid defeat Atlético Madrid by a score of 4-1 in extra time in the 2014 UEFA Champions League Final played at Lisbon‘s Estádio da Luz. (BBC), (AFP via Yahoo! sports)
- In rugby union, Toulon defeat Saracens 23–6 in the last-ever Heineken Cup final, successfully defending their title from last season. (ESPN Scrum)
- In mixed martial arts, T.J. Dillashaw defeats Renan Barão to become the Bantamweight champion. (ESPN)
News from Wikipedia – please support this valuable resource