Top News Story –
Andy Murray claims Wimbledon crown, beating Novak Djokovic in straight sets
ANDY Murray ended Britain’s agonising 77-year wait for a Wimbledon men’s singles champion on Sunday when he destroyed world number one Novak Djokovic, 6-4, 7-5, 6-4 in the blistering heat of the All England Club.
The 26-year-old became the country’s first male winner since Fred Perry in 1936, the year the Spanish Civil War started, Jesse Owens defied Hitler at the Berlin Olympics and Gone With The Wind was published.
It was Murray’s second Grand Slam title to follow his breakthrough triumph at the US Open in 2012 which followed his Olympic gold medal as well as a heartbreaking, tearful loss to Roger Federer in the Wimbledon final.
However, Sunday’s title showdown, between two men who have now contested three of the last four Grand Slam finals, rarely lived up to expectations.
Twitter trends [from Trendinalia] – today from USA
Other News Stories –
Armed conflicts and attacks
- A serial blast injures 5 people near Mahabodhi temple at Bodh Gaya, in the Indian state of Bihar. (TOI)
Disasters and accidents,
- A De Havilland Otter air taxi crashes near the Soldotna Airport in Soldotna, Alaska, killing all ten on board. (Associated Press via ABC News) (Peninsula Clarion)
Law and crime
- Abu Qatada, a Palestinian Muslim cleric allegedly affiliated with al-Qaeda, is deported from the United Kingdom to Jordan to face charges of terrorism. (BBC)
- Police in Sweden fatally shoot a knife-wielding man after he allegedly stabbed three people, an elderly woman fatally. (AP via News 24)
Politics and elections
- Opponents of deposed Egyptian president Mohamed Morsi call for demonstrations to be held today in the aftermath of the 2013 Egyptian coup d’état (AAP via Herald Sun)
- Andy Murray of the United Kingdom wins the Men’s Singles at Wimbledon, defeating Novak Djokovic of Serbia in straight sets. Murray becomes the first British man to win Wimbledon since Fred Perry in 1936. (News Limited)
News from Wikipedia – please support this valuable resource