Top News Story –
Jim Beam Warehouse Fire Destroys 45,000 Barrels
A fire in Kentucky destroyed a warehouse containing about 45,000 barrels of Jim Beam bourbon after officials let the blaze run its course to avoid ethanol contamination in a nearby creek that runs into the Kentucky River.
The fire started around 11 p.m. in Woodford County on Tuesday and was completely out by noon on Wednesday, fire officials said. No injuries were reported.
“The biggest issue we are dealing with is the environmental aspect,” said Drew Chandler, the Woodford County emergency management director. “If we put the fire out, we are going to dump a lot of water on it and that water will be contaminated.”
He said fire officials did not know what had caused the fire, but a spokeswoman for Jim Beam said she believed lightning had sparked it.
Twitter trends [from Trendinalia] – today from USA
Other News Stories –
Armed conflict and attacks
- Insurgency in Jammu and Kashmir
- Syrian Civil War
Disasters and accidents
- Over one million people in the Japanese prefectures of Miyazaki and Kagoshima are ordered to evacuate their homes due to torrential rainfall. An elderly woman in Kagoshima city died after a mudslide hit her home. (BBC)
- One tourist is killed and several injured when Mt. Stromboli in Italy erupts. (BBC)
- At least 26 people have died after a fishing boat capsized off the coast of Honduras. (BBC)
- At least six people are killed and 190 injured after a tornado hits the city of Kaiyuan in Liaoning Province, China. (Global News)
Law and crime
- Death of Otto Warmbier, North Korea–United States relations
- The parents of Otto Warmbier, an American student who died in North Korean custody after allegedly being tortured, file a claim for a seized North Korean cargo ship in an attempt to collect on a $501 million judgment they received after suing the country. (Associated Press)
Politics and elections
- Ninth European Parliament
News from Wikipedia – please support this valuable resource