Top News Story –
Epic final tied, Super Over tied, England win World Cricket Cup on boundary count
New Zealand 241 for 8 (Nicholls 55, Woakes 3-37) tied with England 241 (Stokes 84*, Buttler 59, Neesham 3-43)
Super over England 15 beat New Zealand 15 on boundaries scored
It was never going to be easy, was it? Two teams without a World Cup title between them in 44 years of the men’s competition. After 100 overs, the last couple of which contained almost as much drama as a few previous finals in their entirety, nothing could separate England and New Zealand. For the first time in World Cup history, a Super Over was required to determine the winner.
Asked to score 16 from six balls, Jimmy Neesham coolly struck Jofra Archer‘s second legitimate delivery way back into the Mound Stand, making the equation seven off four. A brace of twos followed, before Archer’s bumper took Neesham off strike. Martin Guptill, at the end of a tournament of personal trial, needing to hit two more otherwise England would take the trophy on boundaries scored. Archer found a yorker, Guptill found deep midwicket and Jason Roy’s throw found Guptill short; Jos Buttler completed the run-out at full stretch to end all those years of hurt and an afternoon of exquisite agony.
Twitter trends [from Trendinalia] – today from UK
Other News Stories –
Disasters and accidents
- A GippsAero GA8 Airvan sky diving operation plane crashes on an island outside Umeå, Sweden, killing all nine people onboard. (The Guardian)
- Argentina–Brazil relations
Science and technology
- The European Union‘s Galileo satellite navigation system suffers a major outage due to a “technical incident related to its ground infrastructure,” taking all active Galileo satellites offline. (BBC)
- 2019 Wimbledon Championships
- In the men’s singles final match, Serbian Novak Djokovic beats Swiss Roger Federer in five sets for his 16th Grand Slam title win in a match that lasted four hours and 56 minutes. It was the longest Wimbledon final of all time, and also the first men’s singles final in any of the four Grand Slam events that went to a fifth-set tiebreaker. (Wimbledon) (ESPN)
News from Wikipedia – please support this valuable resource