Top News Story –
Siberian lake loved by Instagrammers is toxic, power plant says
A turquoise lake in Siberia where people have been taking selfies is actually a power plant’s ash dump.
The lake, nicknamed the “Novosibirsk Maldives” because of how tropical it looks, has provided the perfect backdrop to people’s Instagram posts.
But the reason for its colour is less appealing – calcium salts and other metal oxides from the plant.
Responding to the selfies, the Russian power company that runs the plant urged people not to go near the water.
But its stern warning seems to have only made people even more determined to visit.
Other News Stories –
Armed conflicts and attacks
- Libyan Civil War (2014–present)
- Syrian Civil War
Disasters and accidents
- Tropical Storm Barry (2019)
- Seven people, including six foreign tourists, are killed and 100 others injured during a violent storm that swept across Thessaloniki, Greece. (BBC)
Law and crime
- British right-wing activist Tommy Robinson is sentenced to nine months in prison for contempt of court — minus time served equals about another 10 weeks in prison. Supporters attacked police and journalists following the court proceedings. Police say no new arrests were made. (BBC)
- American R&B singer R. Kelly is arrested in Chicago on federal sex crime charges. (NBC News)
Science and technology
- JAXA‘s Hayabusa2 space probe makes its second successful and final landing on Apollo asteroid 162173 Ryugu. (The Guardian)
News from Wikipedia – please support this valuable resource