Top News Stories –
Toshiba chief executive resigns over scandal –
Toshiba’s chief executive and president Hisao Tanaka has resigned after the company said it had overstated its profits for the past six years.
He will be succeeded by chairman Masashi Muromachi, with vice-chairman Norio Sasaki also stepping down.
On Monday, an independent panel appointed by Toshiba said the firm had overstated its operating profit by a total of 151.8bn yen ($1.22bn, £780m).
The overstatement was roughly triple an initial estimate by Toshiba. [BBC]
Nasa releases amazing high-resolution picture of sunlit Earth from one million miles away –
Nasa has released the first image taken from its new deep space satellite DSCOVR. If Carl Sagan was impressed with the Pale Blue Dot, he would have been equally blown away by this incredible image (launch high-resolution version) of Earth taken from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) Deep Space Climate Observatory (DSCOVR). While the image taken by Voyager in 1990 from 3.7 billion miles away showed our planet as just one pixel, the new picture reveals Earth at incredible detail from one million miles. It was taken by NASA’s Earth Polychromatic Imaging Camera (EPIC) and generated by stitching together three separate photographs. It shows North America, the Gulf of Mexico and down into South America. At the top right it is just possible to make out the western coasts of Europe. [Daily Telegraph]
Khloe Kardashian to Host ‘Hybrid’ Talk Show on FYI Channel –
The FYI channel says Khloe Kardashian will host and produce a “hybrid” talk series titled “Kocktails With Khloe.” Kardashian will be joined in the kitchen and at the dinner table by celebrity guests and friends for conversation, cooking and party games, FYI said Tuesday. She’s been part of her family’s TV empire in shows including “Keeping up With the Kardashians” and “Khloe and Lamar,” which featured NBA player Lamar Odom. Odom and Kardashian were married, but she filed for divorce in 2013. “Kocktails With Khloe” is set to debut in late 2015. [NY Times]
Video of the Day –
A day in the life of three street kids in the Eastern Congo.
Directed by Theo Anthony
Produced by Allen Amani
Top Twitter Trends –
Other News Stories –
- Armed conflicts and attacks
- The Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG) and human rights organizations say that YPG fighters have captured one juvenile prison and a power station in the south of Hasaka, a Syrian province mostly controlled by ISIL. (kurdpress)
- Business and economy
- Greek government-debt crisis timeline
- Hisao Tanaka stands down as the CEO of Japanese company Toshiba following a $1.2 billion accounting scandal. (Financial Times)
- International relations
- The Philippines announces plans to increase its defense budget by 25% amid ongoing tension in the South China Sea. (AFP via Straits Times)
- Law and crime
- Authorities in Waller County, Texas announce that the death of activist Sandra Bland in police custody will be treated as a murder investigation.(CNN)
- Politics and elections
- Burundian presidential election, 2015
- United States presidential election, 2016
- The National Hockey League announces that it has received formal applications for expansion teams from ownership groups in Las Vegas andQuebec City. If granted, the expansion teams would begin play in the 2017–18 season. (CBC)
News from Wikipedia – please support this valuable resource