Top News Stories –
Happy New Year! –
5 years done, 5 to go in the decade that still hasn’t earn’t a name. Onesies, Deccies, Tennies – what will it be?
2014 was The Year Of… –
The Selfie. The ultimate one was, of course, by Ellen DeGeneres at the Oscars [see March 13th 2014]
2015 will be…? –
2015 was year in which the film Back to the Future was set, so expect hoverboards and DeLorean cars to be big this year. October 21st is the magical day.
Very fast wedding –
Formula 1 driver Jenson Benson, who has retained his seat for McLaren in 2015 tweeted that he has married his partner of 7 years, lingerie model, Jessica Michibata in Hawaii.
Captain Fantastic –
Steven Gerrard captain of Liverpool FC announces he is leaving the club to play overseas at the end of the English Premier League season. Gerrard who is 34 made his debut for the club in 1998 is likely to go to MLS club LA Galaxy.
Rouble to Euro –
Lithuania becomes the nineteenth state to join the Euro and in doing so gets its fourth currency in 25 years – after the Soviet rouble, the talonas and the litas.
Video of the Day –
Show me your Hoverboard from Jørgen Håland on Vimeo.
List of the day –
12 Inventions from Back to the Future we don’t have [from Buzzfeed.com]
1. Food hydrator
Specifically made by Black & Decker. Wonder if they’ll change their slogan to “We sure know how to hydrate a pizza!”
2. Power laces
3. Automatic dog walkers
4. Self drying jackets
5. Jaws 19 and holographic movie posters
6. Phone glasses
7. Futuristic fashion: talking vests and odd shaped helmets
8. Retractable garden centers
Top Twitter Trends –
Other News Stories –
- Armed conflicts and attacks
- Terrorism in Yemen
- The death toll of the suicide bombing in Ibb, Yemen, that occurred on December 31 rises to 49 with the injury count rising to 70. (AFP via Business Standard)
- A shooting kills one and injures six people in Killarney, Calgary, Canada, with police making no arrests. (National Post)
- Business and economy
- Lithuania adopts the euro as its official currency, becoming the 19th member of the Eurozone. (CNN)
- International relations
- The Palestine Authority signs a treaty to join and participate in the International Criminal Court. (Wall Street Journal)
- The Eurasian Economic Union between Russia, Kazakhstan, Belarus, and Armenia comes into effect (Novinite)
- Law and crime
- Vietnam’s new marriage law goes into effect, abolishing regulations that “prohibit marriage between people of the same sex.” (Bloomberg)
- Politics and elections
- Mario Cuomo, former governor of the U.S. state of New York, dies at the age of 82. (Reuters)
News from Wikipedia – please support this valuable resource