Top News Story –
Election results 2019: Tories on course to win majority – exit poll
The Conservatives are set to win an overall majority of 86 in the general election, according to an exit poll for the BBC, ITV and Sky News.
The survey taken at UK polling stations suggests the Tories will get 368 MPs – 50 more than at the 2017 election – when all the results have been counted.
Labour would get 191, the Lib Dems 13, the Brexit Party none and the SNP 55.
The Green Party will still have one MP and Plaid Cymru will lose one seat for a total of three, the survey suggests.
The first general election results are due before midnight, with the final total expected to be known by Friday lunchtime.
Twitter trends UK [from Trendinalia]
Other News Stories –
Armed conflict and attacks
- 2019 Jersey City shooting
- A suicide bomber kills seven paramilitary soldiers and wounds three others near Samarra, Iraq. (Reuters)
Disasters and accidents
- Russia‘s only aircraft carrier, the Admiral Kuznetsov, catches fire while docked in Murmansk. (Ars Technica)
- Former President of Bolivia Evo Morales lands in Argentina after being granted asylum. Foreign Minister of Argentina Felipe Solá says Morales will receive refugee status. (Reuters)
Law and crime
- Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting
Politics and elections
- Indian Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2019
- 2019 Algerian protests, 2019 Algerian presidential election
- Thousands of protesters flood the streets of Algiers to protest the presidential election currently underway. As all five candidates have ties to ousted president Abdelaziz Bouteflika, protesters call the election a sham and demand that the military withdraw its influence from political life. (Al Jazeera)
- 2020 Israeli legislative election
- 2019 Chilean protests
Science and technology
- The U.S. Federal Communications Commission designates 988 as the new phone number of the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. (Associated Press)
News from Wikipedia – please support this valuable resource