Top News Story –
Lionel Messi Suspended 3 Months and Fined $50,000 for CONMEBOL Criticism
The Argentine star Lionel Messi was barred on Friday from playing for his national team for three months and was fined $50,000 by CONMEBOL, the South American soccer governing body, after he heavily criticized the organization during the Copa América.
Messi, 32, accused CONMEBOL of corruption after he was sent off against Chile in the third-place playoff match during the tournament in Brazil, which ended last month.
Messi was angered by two incidents during the Copa.
Argentina was denied two penalty claims in its 2-0 semifinal loss to the hosts, after which Messi claimed Brazil was “managing a lot in CONMEBOL these days.” And when he was harshly dismissed in the next game, which Argentina won, 2-1, he could not contain his anger.
“Corruption and the referees are preventing people from enjoying the football, and they’re ruining it a bit,” Messi said.
He was given his marching orders after a first-half scuffle with Chile’s captain, Gary Medel, although television images suggested he had done little wrong.
In a statement on its website, CONMEBOL did not specify why Messi was being punished but said the punishment was related to articles 7.1 and 7.2 of the organization’s disciplinary regulations.
Other News Stories –
Armed conflicts and attacks
- Yemeni Civil War, Al-Qaeda insurgency in Yemen
- 2019 Bangkok bombings
- Russia–United States relations
Law and crime
- 2019 Zagreb shooting
- Women’s rights in Saudi Arabia
- Capital punishment in Japan
Politics and elections
- UK House of Commons: 2019 Brecon and Radnorshire by-election
- Political appointments by Donald Trump
- President Trump announces he will not nominate Representative John Ratcliffe to replace Dan Coats as Director of National Intelligence when he resigns on August 15, and plans to block Principal Deputy Director of National Intelligence Sue Gordon from serving as acting director. (The New York Times) (The New York Times²)
- Romanian Prime Minister Viorica Dăncilă sacks Minister of Education Ecaterina Andronescu for her controversial comments in a television interview about murdered 15-year-old girl Alexandra Macesanu, saying she was “taught not to get in cars with strangers”. A 65-year-old man has since admitted killing Alexandra Macesanu and another teenage girl who has been missing since April. (BBC)
- Deforestation in Brazil
News from Wikipedia – please support this valuable resource