Top News Stories –
Clinton logo goes rainbow for same-sex marriage arguments –
Hillary Clinton on Tuesday changed the colors of her presidential campaign logo Tuesday on social media to the rainbow colors symbolizing the gay rights movement, less than an hour before the Supreme Court on Tuesday was set to hear oral arguments on same-sex marriage. Clinton, who is now seeking the Democratic presidential nomination, announced in 2013 her support for the right of same-sex couples to get married after leaving her post as Secretary of State. Clinton’s logo changed on her Facebook and Twitter pages Tuesday morning shortly before 9 a.m. Facebook pages for individual state branches of the Clinton campaign also changed their logos, though the main logo on HillaryClinton.com, remained the usual red and blue logo. [CNN] The hashtag #SCOTUS relating to the court case trended on Twitter.
Baltimore police enforce curfew –
Police fired gas to enforce a curfew on the streets of Baltimore, a night after violence and arson rocked the city. After an evening of largely peaceful protests, a few hundred people defied the (local time)deadline of 22:00. But in the face of thousands of troops on the city streets, the remaining crowds later dispersed and police said the curfew was working. The protests have gone on daily since the death of Freddie Gray in police custody on 19 April. [BBC] (See Top Twitter Trends)
Sam Smith cancels Australian tour and Logie Awards show –
Sam Smith has been forced to pull out of his Australian tour due to bleeding on his vocal cords. The singer is just half way through an eight-date tour. He was also due to perform at the TV Week Logies, the annual Australian television industry awards. Writing on the tour website, Sam said having to cancel the tour “killed” him, but that he was on doctor’s orders to rest.
Victoria’s Secret unveils 10 new models –
Victoria’s Secret added 10 new models to its roster, which had recently been whittled down to five (Adriana Lima, Alessandra Ambrosio, Behati Prinsloo, Candice Swanepoel, and Lily Aldridge). The lingerie company provided a 15-second clip introducing their new employees, and handy dandy summary of each new model’s bona fides, which include, variously, racket sports, salsa dancing, and trying new meals. [Fox News] (See Video of the day and List of the day)
Video of the Day –
And the 10 Newest Victoria’s Secret Angels Are…
List of the day –
The Ten New Victoria’s Secret models –
KATE GRIGORIEVA is an accomplished ballroom dancer. She graduated from art school and received her Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing before starting her modeling career.
TAYLOR HILL was scouted at a horse ranch in Colorado. She likes new music, reading, snowboarding and practicing yoga.
ELSA HOSK began modeling after her father submitted photographs to a local agency. Elsa balanced modeling with a professional basketball career, eventually leaving the court to pursue modeling full time.
MARTHA HUNT was discovered in her home state of North Carolina at a modeling competition. She likes to cook and stays active with surfing and dancing.
JAC JAGACIAK was discovered during a casting at a shopping mall in her hometown of Puszczykowo. She comes from an athletic family, and trained in track and field since childhood. She enjoys playing sports and cooking.
STELLA MAXWELL has lived all over the world. She was discovered by a New Zealand agent, loves racket sports, hiking and travel.
LAIS RIBEIRO stays active with boxing, volleyball and soccer. She also has a passion for salsa dancing.
SARA SAMPAIO has won the Portuguese “Best Female Model” Golden Globe multiple times. She is a brown belt in karate, plays the violin, and loves to surf.
ROMEE STRIJD has a passion for interior design and cooking. She stays fit with running and boxing.
JASMINE TOOKES practiced gymnastics for 14 years and played high school volleyball. She is a self-described “foodie” who loves trying new and exotic meals.
Top Twitter Trends –
Other News Stories –
- Armed conflicts and attacks
- Iran‘s Navy of the Army of the Guardians of the Islamic Revolution intercepts a Marshall Islands flagged commercial cargo vessel the Maersk Tigris in the Strait of Hormuz and diverts it further into Iranian waters. The US despatches the USS Farragut (DDG-99), an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer, to the location of the cargo vessel in response. (Yahoo! Politics)
- Boko Haram
- Niger states that it lost 46 soldiers in clashes with Boko Haram while 156 Boko Haram fighters lost their lives in a battle for Karamga Island onLake Chad. At least 28 civilians were killed. (Thomson Reuters Foundation)
- The Nigerian Army has rescued 200 girls and 93 women during a military operation to capture the Sambisa Forest from Boko Haram. It is not confirmed as yet whether any victims of the Chibok schoolgirls kidnapping are amongst this group. (Reuters)
- Arts and culture
- Nominations for the 69th Tony Awards are announced with An American in Paris and Fun Home leading the nominations. (Broadway)
- Disasters and accidents
- 2015 Nepal earthquake
- Two trains crash in Johannesburg killing a driver and injuring 90 passengers. (Zee News)
- At least 52 people are missing, feared dead, after a landslide in a remote village in Afghanistan‘s Badakhshan province. (Reuters)
- The Trasmediterranea passenger ferry Sorrento, en route from Palma de Mallorca to Valencia in Spain catches fire. All 170 passengers are rescued. (AFP via News24)
- Law and crime
- Indonesia executes eight convicted drug smugglers including the Bali Nine duo Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran. Filipina maid Mary Jane Veloso is given a last-minute reprieve. (BBC)
- Sinking of the MV Sewol
- Death of Freddie Gray, 2015 Baltimore riots
- In mixed martial arts, the UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones, widely regarded as the best active mixed martial arts fighter in the world, is stripped of his title after his alleged involvement in a hit-and-run incident. (Fox News)
News from Wikipedia – please support this valuable resource